On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:20:42AM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
And it's even worse if you use 9.3 pg_ctl against a 9.2 server: it
will create a filed called "fast_promote" and return success, but it
won't actually do anything.

I think "promote" file should trigger the fast promotion, and the
filename to trigger the slow mode should be called
"fallback_promote" or "safe_promote" or something like that. There
wasn't any good reason to change the filename primarily used. It
might even break people's scripts for no good reason, if people are
creating the $PGDATA/promote file themselves without using pg_ctl.

(I raised this back in April, but Simon argued strongly for the
current situation. I never understood why.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/517798AE.30203@vmware.com)
+1

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

grouppgsql-hackers @