On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
I remind you that event triggers are not fired for global objects
such as databases and roles. Do you intend to lift that restriction?
That's not on my TODO list for 9.4. My understanding about implementing
that is:

- we agree that it would be nice to have,
- it requires a separate *shared* catalog for event triggers.

What I'm yet unsure about is that there's a consensus that the use cases
are worthy of a new shared catalog in the system. Also I didn't look how
hard it is to actually provide for it.
A new shared catalog wouldn't actually help, because the actual
procedure to be run has to live in pg_proc, which is not shared. And
that has references to all sorts of other things (like pg_language)
that aren't shared either.

I think the question isn't really a technical one so much as one of
policy. We could quite easily allow event triggers on shared objects.
  The reason I suggested that we NOT allow that is because then
operations on those objects would behave differently depending on
which database you've attached. If you've attached a database with an
event trigger, you get the special behavior; otherwise, you don't. I
feared creating user confusion, there, and the use cases seemed
marginal anyway. But if there's a sufficient consensus that such a
thing is useful and non-confusing, I'll give way.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company