On 3 July 2013 07:45, Amit Kapila wrote:

postgresql.auto.conf is similar enough to postgresql.conf that it will
prevent tab completion from working as it does now. As a result it will
cause
people to bring that file up for editing when we wish to avoid that.
This new file postgresql.auto.conf will be created inside a new directory
"config", so both will be in different directories.
Will there be any confusion with tab completion for different
directories?

Tab completion will not be confused, no.

But I think everything else will be. How will I know that some settings
have been set by ALTER SYSTEM and some by other means?

Sounds to me like a recipe for chaos. I hope nobody is calling for a commit
on this anytime soon. I think the whole thing needs some careful thought
and review before we commit this.

  --
  Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/