Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
OK, based on reports I have seen, generally stats_query_string adds 50%
to the total runtime of a "SELECT 1" query, and the patch reduces the
overhead to 25%.
that is actually not true for both of the platforms(a slow OpenBSD
3.9/x86 and a very fast Linux/x86_64) I tested on. Both of them show
virtually no improvement with the patch and even worst it causes
considerable (negative) variance on at least the Linux box.
I see the results I suggested on OpenBSD that you reported.
OpenBSD 3.9-current/x86:

without stats:
0m6.79s real 0m1.56s user 0m1.12s system

-HEAD + stats:
0m10.44s real 0m2.26s user 0m1.22s system

-HEAD + stats + patch:
0m10.68s real 0m2.16s user 0m1.36s system
and I got similar results reported from a Debian:

Linux 2.6.16 on a single processor HT 2.8Ghz Pentium compiled
with gcc 4.0.4.
real 0m3.306s
real 0m4.905s
real 0m4.448s
I am unclear on the cuase for the widely varying results you saw in
Debian.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

grouppgsql-hackers @