On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 02:17:26PM +0200, Ivan Radovanovic wrote:
Hi guys,

I am looking for a way to get list of supported types in Postgres
together with information whether type can have optional size (like
varchar for example), whether it can have precision (like decimal
for example), and whether it can come as value of sequence (like all
integer types for example), but I have trouble getting that info
from pg_type table. This is SQL I was using:

select
pg_catalog.format_type(oid, null),
*
from
pg_type
where
typnamespace = (select oid from pg_namespace where
nspname='pg_catalog') and
typisdefined and
typname not like '$_%' escape '$' and
typname not like 'pg%' and
typtype = 'b'
order by
typname

apparently pg_catalog.format_type for some types return quoted name
("char" for example), also I can't find decimal in results (there is
numeric, but I would like to have complete list of supported types,
so decimal should be included too). In documentation it is said that
typlen of -1 or -2 means that type is variable length, but I don't
know how to find out if type can have additional precision?
Try psql -E, and run the \dT command to see the query it uses.

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 14, '13 at 12:17p