-----Original Message-----
From: Matteo Beccati
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 1:08 PM
To: internals@lists.php.net
Cc: Sebastian Bergmann
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] RFC: Move phpng to master

To be honest I don't think we're anywhere near the point where it's safe
merge phpng to master.
Why? People aren't supposed to run production or even development code
initially from master.

I don't know how many people here were around when PHP 5, 4 and 3 came to
be - but when you're dealing with a major version with such massive code
changes, you don't get everything right in day one. It will require a
community effort - which is exactly what we're trying to achieve here. I
don't think that community effort will happen if we don't move it to master
and give developers the needed clarity and motivation to work on this.
Also, one thing that might have been overlooked is that merging phpng to
master would completely bypass the voting phase on
Our thinking is to use this only for performance sensitive functions that
actually move the needle, as opposed to using it across the board - which
was the original thinking behind the fast_zpp API. Fast_zpp for this
limited set of functions is now a part of phpng; We can decide whether or
not we revisit the proposal for using fast_zpp more widely, although as I
said in the past, I'm not too fond of the new macro-based APIs myself. For
performance sensitive functions that are used a lot, though, I think it
makes perfect sense.