Hi Julien,

I can only agree here.

I'd like a clean API. We need to consider PHP-Next jump as an opportunity
clean our API and finally have something understandable for a
newcomer, and documented. That's a move nobody dared to take in the
last decade, degrading more and more our codebase in term of
understandability and flexibility. This can't last
I'm more than agree about internal cleanup.
phpng benchmark results proved that we take the right direction and now we
implemented most the ideas we had.
Note that we tried not to change PHP behaviour in any way.
Now it's a good time to start the cleanup work.

Old features and unused things should be cleaned up.
Quickly caught, impacting the engine :
- Resources are a hell, mixed with zend_lists etc... inconsitstent and
absolutely PITA to develop with.
- Streams need to be cleaned up and reworked to support full
asynchronous IOs, which could involve threads, thus engine tied
- Signals have been worked on starting with 5.4 (AFAIR), but never
activated by default. I guess the actual implementation lacks a bit
more reflection to be stable, and to finally propose signal managers
into userland. ext/pcntl should be somehow merged to core, and this as
well would involve engine work
- TSRM need to find love, or to find a better replacement, which would
involve a big engine work as well
- ... and so on
Some of the topics above are really big... :)

Macro hell should be reworked as inlined functions, and I'd like we
start supporting C99 as well.

Performance is a userland point.
API, doc, and clean things are developers points, and IMO, they are as

What about merging OPCache to the branch ?
This was talked about at PHP5.5 release, has never happened yet, and
doesn't seem planed. This could have a big impact on the engine
What do you mean? isn't it already there.
I'm also going to remove opcache code for old PHP versions in php-next.

I just cant believe we won't rework our API , fully and deeply, for
You and others are welcome. Once we merge phpng into master, we all may
cooperate better.

Thanks. Dmitry.