On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Michael Wallner wrote:
I also have a patch for run-tests sitting around for quite some time,
which
adds concurrent test execution support. I already fixed a lot of non
re-entrant tests in the past, but there might still be quite some of
them.
HHVM uses PHP's test suite and runs them in parallel. We upstreamed a
number of fixes for tests to make these behave properly (many tests
used common, generic filenames like "test.txt" which would clobber
over each other when run concurrently). Would love to see PHP eat up
a few more cores too.
The other problem regarding running tests in parallel are DB extensions.
Many DB tests use the same tables. Or extensions that create sockets on the
same port (e.g., ftp).
Having thought a bit about the subject, the heuristic I came up with was to
1) do not run tests from the same extension in parallel, and 2) do not run
tests from certain extensions in parallel (e.g., mysql and pdo_mysql).

BTW, I made this patch in 2007 for run-tests.php that was a naive
parallelization of the system:
http://gcov.php.net/~nlopess/multi_threaded_run_tests.txt

Nuno

groupphp-internals @