Grokbase Groups Perl qa April 2013
I use a hackathon to...

* Sync up with what else is going on
* Make long standing hard/bikeshed/warnock'd decisions
* Remind myself that there are people behind the emails
* Be a resource for Test::*, TAP, MakeMaker, build...
* Hack away at code, particularly long standing issues which
haven't been getting attention.

QA Hackathons are often my most days of the year. What I'm looking for
is the ability to focus on the hackathon without worrying about the
necessaries like food, water, internet, power, tables, chairs,
whiteboards, caffeine, bedding, transport... you get the idea.

That said, none of it has to be fancy. The TravelLodge was just fine.
Clean bed. Good shower. Bus to the venue. I don't expect great food
either, just something to keep me going for the weekend.

To that end, the Lancaster team did a lovely job. From being shuttled
from the train to the hotel (I was a bit embarrassed once I saw how
short a walk it was), to the wonderful spread of food and drinks, to the
packet of maps and information (I liked the potted history) to the
little details like phone numbers on the name badges. Claire, Ian, Mark
and any other Shadowcats were wonderful hosts.