Grokbase Groups Perl qa May 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 10:51:41AM +0200, Steffen Schwigon wrote:
I used CPAN::Mini a lot but now start using *real* CPAN mirrors for
the distroprefs mechanism that CPAN.pm provides (needed to work around
any known problem on CPAN).
You can, of course, use distroprefs with any CPAN-like mirror, including
a mini-CPAN.

Distroprefs are awesome, and not anything like well-known enough.
I *think* (but haven't tried yet) that combining both might be good:

- a local real CPAN mirror for the latest full CPAN
- an additional CPAN::Mini (plus ::Inject) to add your own lcoal
modules
AFARI CPAN.pm looks into other mirrors once it doesn't find a module,
which would happen for local modules only in CPAN::Mini.
The urllist will indeed take multiple sources. This isn't something
I've ever done though, so I don't know how well it works or whether it
introduces any "interesting" gotchas. If you do do this, I suggest that
one of the edge-cases you should test before relying on it is what
happens if your local CPAN has a more up-to-date version of some module
than what the "real" CPAN has. This could happen because you've got
locally applied patches which the upstream author hasn't yet applied, or
if you've not yet released the latest version of something to the CPAN,
for example.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Seven o'clock in the morning is something that
happens to those less fortunate than me

groupqa @
categoriesperl
postedMay 20, '11 at 7:51a