On Jul 19, 2014, at 9:58 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

there is a ticket about that:
https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=121937
Ah, interesting. I had not run into that warning. What I ran into with Encode I now think should be changed:

perl -MEncode -E 'say Encode::decode("UTF-8", "\xEF\xBF\xBF", Encode::FB_CROAK)'
utf8 "\xFFFF" does not map to Unicode at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.20.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Encode.pm line 175.

In fact it *does* map to Unicode, IIUC Corrigendum 9 correctly. I’ll file a bug with Dan.
I did so, here:

Dan replied to report that it’s UTF8_DISALLOW_ILLEGAL_INTERCHANGE from the Perl core that’s at fault:
If it were are a bug, it belongs to perl core because the strictness of UTF8 is #defined in the value of UTF8_DISALLOW_ILLEGAL_INTERCHANGE which is defined in perl core:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlapi.html#Unicode-Support

In other words, Encode faithfully believes perl core with that respect. And I want to leave Encode that way. If it is to be fixed, it should be fixed by redefining UTF8_DISALLOW_ILLEGAL_INTERCHANGE to exclude UTF8_DISALLOW_NONCHAR in perl core.

ISTM that, given the change in Corrigendum 9, UTF8_DISALLOW_ILLEGAL_INTERCHANGE should exclude UTF8_DISALLOW_NONCHAR.

Is this part of of the same issue as that described in RT-97358? Or should I start a new issue?

Best,

David

groupperl5-porters @
categoriesperl