On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
# from Jonathan Rockway
# on Tuesday 03 March 2009 10:16:
This is just one of the many things I have been upset with the
treatment of in my Computer Science program--it's way too academic,
and not applied enough, but I suppose that's University in general.
I would expect application of the Science to be found in the Software
Engineering program, but we've got a ways to go yet before it becomes a
professional discipline -- complete with licensing and responsibility.
You might be interested in this article by Peter Deming, "Is Software
Engineering Engineering?

http://cs.gmu.edu/cne/pjd/PUBS/CACMcols/cacmMar09.pdf

-- David