I can add a complex mechanism, or someone can just do this:

sub modifies_err {
my $ctx = context();
my $err = $@;
$ctx->release();
$@ = $err;
return ...;
}

It is unlikely anyone would want to have $@, $!, and $?, all at once, but
just as easy to manually maintain them. Wanting to preserve any, let alone
all 3 is rare enough, and easy enough, that I think adding a mechanism into
release() or context() would be noise. Add to this the fact that context()
and release() are called so often, and have been written so very carefully
to be as fast as possible, I am not convinced this mechanism is necessary.

Then again, if you /really/ want the mechanism in $ctx, I can add
$ctx->release_preserving (naming is hard, give me a better one) which does
have the behavior... but at that point, which behavior do you want,
preserve one, preserve all, preserve what is requested in arguments? Once
again, seems over-complicated for something done so rarely, and so easy to
just do without a mechanism.

rjbs and I actually talked about this Friday. He asked me how a function
could set $@ if it wanted to, I showed him a sample like the one above and
his response was:

<Exodist> ->release; $@ = $err;
<rjbs> oh, of course