Yes, the highlighted phrase is what confused me as well.

But I think it's just poorly written -- I think that from-action only gives
you the EL expression used to get to this navigation case -- the execution
of the action already took place by this point, so how could it make sense
to execute it again?

Ie, if you have #{bean.editObject} and #{bean.addObject}, you could still
use a single logical "SUCCESS" outcome for both, but distinguish between how
you got the SUCCESS outcome. Using different logical outcome seems more
intuitive.