From: "wave@vancameron.net" <wave@vancameron.net>
To: general@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Sat, May 28, 2011 2:28:00 AM
Subject: Query performance, bitset, btree

Hello, I'm new to Lucene. I have a question about performance. I have a
structured dataset split up into fields, for example name, age, city,
I want to query this dataset for exact matches to fields, e.g.
and age=30 and city="London". For such a dataset, how will performance of
Lucene compare with a database table with an appropriate index (e.g.
on name, age, city)? The dataset is pretty static so index update
performance is not an issue for me.

From what I understand, Lucene uses bitset indexes while a typical
index will use a b-tree (or hash). I'll admit I don't fully understand
a bitset index is. What types of datasets and queries take best advantage
bitset indexes vs a btree index?

Sent from my mobile device