Grokbase Groups Lucene dev May 2016
: > : Back when we used 4.4.0 I believe a query with rows=-1 returned all
: > matching

: > Nope -- that's never been how rows=-1 behaved.
: Believe you are wrong. That was how it behaved in 4.4.0

Nope -- not in a regular search it didn't...

hossman@tray:~/lucene/lucene_solr_4_4_0_tag/solr/example/exampledocs$ curl 'http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=*:*&indent=true&rows=-1'
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>

<lst name="responseHeader">
   <int name="status">0</int>
   <int name="QTime">0</int>
   <lst name="params">
     <str name="q">*:*</str>
     <str name="indent">true</str>
     <str name="rows">-1</str>
   </lst>
</lst>
<result name="response" numFound="32" start="0">
</result>
</response>

...your subsequent comments however suggest you may have been refering
solely to the *grouping* component -- but you didn't mention that in your
original email.

Based on the jira comments you linked to (SOLR-7254) i guess perhaps
that's how grouping worked in 4.4, but wether it was actually intended or
not and/or why that behavior may have changed since -- i have no idea.

And as for wether yonik did/didn't ever intend to support it in regular
searches: i have no idea -- If he says he planned on it then i guess maybe
he planned on it, but it's never actually been supported, and when
suggested in the past it's been argued against heavily as a "miss feature"
in the past (see SOLR-534) and discouraging people from expecting this to
ever work in general search results is one of the oldest FAQs we have...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#How_can_I_get_ALL_the_matching_documents_back.3F_..._How_can_I_return_an_unlimited_number_of_rows.3F

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/