[HBase-user] prevent region splits?

Jack Levin
Sep 3, 2011 at 11:54 pm
Make hbase.hregion.max.filesize to be very large. Then your regions
won't split. We use this method when copying 'live' hbase to make a
backup.

-Jack
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Geoff Hendrey wrote:
Is there a way to prevent regions from splitting while we are running a
mapreduce job that does a lot of Puts? It seems that there is a lot of
HDFS activity related to the splitting of regions while my M/R job is
doing the puts. Is it sensible to disable splitting during the job that
does lots of Put? Would there be any danger in this (i.e. disabling
splitting during the job, and re-enabling it when the job completes)?

I see the hbase.regionserver.thread.splitcompactcheckfrequency could be
used to make splits happen less frequently, but what I'd really like is
for splitting to be disabled, then re-enabled later.

-Geoff
reply