Grokbase Groups HBase user July 2011

[HBase-user] php to thrift vs java api

Jack Levin
Jul 12, 2011 at 5:23 am
For those who are interested, I did some loadtesting of Puts and Gets
speeds using PHP -> Thrift Server -> HBASE, and Java API Client ->
HBASE.

Writing and reading 5 - 10 byte cells (from Cache), is 30 times faster
using Java API client. So I am going to assume that writing near
realtime applications like search will be better with Java API, since
it takes a while for php to serialize data, send out of the socket and
then for Thrift server to talk to HBase.

Average reads per row were 0.5 ms with Java, and 15 ms (still fast!)
with PHP client.

I am thinking that Tomcat with java servlet that does a lot of work on
the backend is a way to go. When we set it up, I will follow up with
results; Should be just as fast as the HTTP wrap-around should not
add significant latency, because we are not doing multiple GETs as
most of the logic will be done on the backend.

-Jack
reply

Jack Levin: 2 posts Jeff Whiting: 2 posts