[Dojo-interest] Usage dojo under iframe

Frank W. Zammetti
Apr 8, 2009 at 10:15 am

On Wed, April 8, 2009 10:02 am, Jon Sykes wrote:
We found it's just easier to give each iframe it's own and then manage
the cross doc communications and use lots of topics for pub/sub cross
iframe.
Ditto. I lead development of a very large and complex application that
uses Dojo (among a number of other libraries) and it's premised on their
being iFrames because we're essentially hosting other applications
developed by other teams, so we're something of a portal, and you simply
couldn't pull it off without iFrames (think just of trying to manage DOM
IDs to avoid naming conflicts across multiple teams!)... although, the way
the app is built it looks like a single, unified application, you'd never
know from looking at it that there are iFrames or apps running on other
servers, to the user you're simply using different screens in a single
application.

We have our own API that sits in the parent doc that the children can use
in a shared fashion, we built it that way from the ground up, but for Dojo
(and other libraries) we load a new copy for each app that needs it (not
all of them do). It's not the most memory-efficient way to do things, but
it works, and in fact there's probably no real choice in our case.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical Ext JS Projects with Gears" (coming soon)