[CouchDB-user] JSONQuery

Dean Landolt
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:24 pm

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
On 10 Mar 2009, at 13:07, Paul Davis wrote:

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com>
wrote:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 07:43:16AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

Haven't we discussed this before? Or am I just getting a weird déjà vu?
Well, we've certainly discussed JSON paths, JSON queries, and JSON
diffs.

I didn't think this specific suggestion has come up before, apologies.

I still think this is low hanging RFC fruit. Heh

We had discussed JSONPath, which at first glance this is, but it looks
like
they cleaned it up quite a bit. It's even got pythonic list slices so
this
is definitely *not* javascript -- it's just that the reference
implementation is in js, and that's the only implementation...for now.

Looking at the new spec, I've already implemented half of this in python
--
I'd be happy to take it all the way if this would help formalize path
semantics in couch.

What do they know ;)

But actually Paul, I was just mentioning a pure python parser as a proof of
concept to show JSONQuery doesn't need js. In fact, if you look at the new
spec Noah linked to, it's not even *close *to js (it strikes me as more like
a jumble of python and ruby with some xpath tossed in).

As an example of what I mean, JSONSchema already has an implementation in
another language (in this case, python again[1]). And JSONQuery even less
javascript-idiomatic. If you'd like, I'd be happy to try my hand at
implementing it in erlang -- but I was thinking it would be most helpful for
view ops (thus, in js). It would be pretty convenient if there were
agreed-upon path semantics -- specifically for things like searching.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/jsonschema/
reply