[CouchDB-user] JSONQuery

Dean Landolt
Mar 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Robert Newson wrote:

fwiw: it might make a more natural query language into couchdb-lucene
than Lucene's default query syntax. Not all of it applies, but there's
some decent overlap.

B.
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Dean Landolt wrote:
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Christopher Lenz wrote:
On 10.03.2009, at 13:23, Dean Landolt wrote:

As an example of what I mean, JSONSchema already has an implementation
in
another language (in this case, python again[1]). And JSONQuery even
less
javascript-idiomatic. If you'd like, I'd be happy to try my hand at
implementing it in erlang -- but I was thinking it would be most
helpful
for
view ops (thus, in js). It would be pretty convenient if there were
agreed-upon path semantics -- specifically for things like searching.
Everyone in this thread seems to know where/how JSONPath would fit into
CouchDB, but I have no idea :)

What would this be useful for?

One way -- retrieving doc fragments. Another -- for json-based
configuration
of fti, rather than having to interpret js functions via rhino or
python-spidermonkey (no offense Paul -- that's still a kickass project ;).
There are probably quite a few others that will shake out -- but having an
agreed-upon way to reference portions of a doc (or a view) should prove
useful.
And one more use -- if and when alternate view engines land, many of them
will benefit from this. I know it's not a goal to make couch more *
relational*, but I can forsee some external indexing that will help solve a
lot of problems couch just can't solve (efficiently) on its own.

I've started experimenting with dropping couch on top of an xml db (monetdb
in this case). I know, I know -- xml...eww...but I work for an xml shop, so
what can i do? I'm finishing up a long project to build a restful data store
on top of MarkLogic -- it's a beautiful but obscenely expensive piece of
software, and I'd love to be able to kick them to the curb. Couch is a
natural fit out of the box, but there are a lot of relational operations we
have to support that couch can't (and shouldn't) do. With a little
alternative indexing we can fix this, and I think JSONQuery will help get me
there, so I'm a little biased :)
reply