[CouchDB-user] Why sequential document ids? [was: Re: What's the speed(performance) of couchdb?]

Dean Landolt
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:57 pm

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Antony Blakey wrote:
On 03/03/2009, at 5:20 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com>
wrote:
What security issues are you thinking of?
The one where you can tell by looking at a doc, which node it was
inserted on. I suppose that's not strictly security - more like
anonymity.
If you want to a feature such as replication tracking i.e. who have I
replicated from, and how up-to-date am I, the ability to track the
replication source chould would be a good thing. It would allow a computed
version-vector form of staleness-tracking.

I can see the point of replication source, but document origination source
is different than replication source, isn't it?

More would be required than just having a source identifier, because you
would need to map that identifier to a domain useful to the user, but it
would be a start.

I wonder if anonymity, even transitive anonymity, is that useful?

Yes. And not just for copyright infringement apps.
reply