[CouchDB-user] Why sequential document ids? [was: Re: What's the speed(performance) of couchdb?]

Dean Landolt
Feb 27, 2009 at 6:25 pm

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

There was talk of switching the internal uuid generationg to a version
1 style instead of the version 4 (random) style. My suggestion was to
make the _uuids endpoint accept a v=[1|4] url parameter to choose with
a config file default but people seemed to not like that idea.
Now that I've got a better grasp on the why's of each option, I think
I'm liking your idea just fine. I think the real resistance was to
making an ini setting for it.

I wonder if there's a way to get roughly ascending uuids (v1-ish)
without the security issues that come from having the originating node
permanently inscribed on each document...

UUID v1 only _very_ roughly ascends -- it recycles every minute or so. This
probably wouldn't matter too much though...

Even still, an algo to give you ever-increasing uuids is easy -- just go
YYMMDDHHMMSS etc. Then you can append something like a UUID v4, or something
shorter that can still strongly guarantee you uniqueness, and you've got the
best of both worlds. I think...
reply