Les Mikesell wrote:

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Joerg Schilling
wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:

There was no court case, but VERITAS published a modifed version of gtar where
additional code was added by binary only libraries from VERITAS. The FSF did
never try to discuss this is public even though everybody did know about the
existence. As long as the FSF does not try to sue VERITAS, we are safe -
regardless what intentional nonsense you can read on the FSF webpages.
I just remembered a counterpoint to this. Back in the Windows 3.0
days when windows had no tcp networking of its own, I put together a
DOS binary built from gnutar and the wattcp stack so you could back up
a windows or dos box to a unix system via rsh. And when I tried to
give it away I was contacted and told that I couldn't distribute it
because even though wattcp was distributed in source, it had other
conflicts with the GPL. As a side effect of getting it to build on a

If you had the wattcp stack in a separate library and if you did make the
needed changes for integration in the gtar source, this was fully legal.

I know that the FSF frequently tries to ask people to do things that are not on
a legal base. They however know that they cannot go on trial with this...

J?rg

--
  EMail:joerg at schily.net (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin