Stephen Harris wrote:

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:38:25AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
Fascinating. As I'd been in Sun OS, and started doing admin work when it
became Solaris, I'd missed that bit. A question: did the license agreement
include payment, or was it just restrictive on distribution?
In 1990, when I started using ksh88, it was totally commercial. Binaries
were $$$ and source was $$$$. We bought the source and compiled it for
SunOS, Ultrix and various SYSVr[23] machines (one machine was so old it
didn't understand #! and so needed it placed as /bin/sh).

But around 1991 1992, the first Solaris-2.x (SunOS-5.1) came out and this
included the Korn Shell for no additional costs.

J?rg

--
  EMail:joerg at schily.net (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin