Ah. I don't remember if I was using csh, or ksh, and didn't realize about
bash. I *think* I vaguely remember that sh seemed to be more capable than
I remembered.

If you like to check what the Bourne Shell did support in the late 1980s, I
recommend you to fetch recent Schily tools from:

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/

compile and install and test "osh".

This is the SVr4 Bourne Shell, so you need to take into account what has been
added with Svr4:

- multibyte character support. In the 1980s, the Bourne Shell was just
  8-bit clean.

- job-control. If you do not call "jsh", or if you switch off jobcontrol
  via "set +m" in a job shell, you have the job-control related builtins
  but there is no processgroup management.

J?rg

--
  EMail:joerg at schily.net (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin