You currently may have the vi source from aprox. 1979 under a 4 clause BSD
license or the current Solaris vi under the CDDL. The latter was POSIX
compliant approved.
And so you assert that if you don't have a version of vi that is strictly
compatible with the 1979 source, and has no improvements or bugfixes, it's
not vi?
Nobody forces you to use the 1979 version that is not 8 bit clean anyway.

Recent vi versions of course have improvements and bug-fixes.

BTW: I don't use vi as I am using my "ved" that is faster than vi.

People who use the vi however complained that vim is not fully vi compatible and
that they prefer to have a real vi under the name "vi". People who prefer vim
could still call vim.

J?rg

--
EMail:joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin